The history of the village and the parish of Caverswall stretches back over the centuries. Early archaeological evidence, an axe hammer and axe, dates from the Neolithic period. The settlement at Caverswall is mentioned in the Domesday Book of 1086 which tells us that a man called Wulfgeat prevously held Cavreswelle and that by the time of the great survey it was owned by Robert de Stafford. Robert`s tenant was Arnulf of Hesdin. As with many places in the county we are very fortunate, Caverswall local history is never far from view.
History, Gazetteer and Directory of Staffordshire published in 1851
This was how William White described Caverswall :
Caverswall, vulgarly called Careswell, is a pleasant but irregularly built village, near the source of the River Blythe, three and a half miles west by south of Cheadle, and seven miles east by south of Newcastle-under-Lyme, being only about one mile north of Blythe Bridge Station on the North Staffordshire Railway. Its parish is divided into the two townships of Caverswall and Weston-Coyney with Hulme, and contains 1505 inhabitants and about 5380 acres of land, of which 1570 acres and 567 souls are in Caverswall, and 3810 acres and 938 souls in Weston-Coyney and Hulme.
Thomas Hawe Parker, Esq is principal owner and lord of the manor of Caverswall, and Charles Coyney, Esq of Weston-Coyney & Hulme. Caverswall has two annual fairs for horses, cattle and swine, held on the second Thursdays in April and October. The most remarkable object in the village is Caverswall Castle, founded in the reign of Edward II by Sir William de Caverswall, who surrounded it by extensive ponds and a deep moat with a drawbridge. The present castle is an extensive mansion and is now a nunnery, being purchased in 1811 by a small convent of Benedictine nuns.
Weston-Coyney and Hulme are two neighbouring hamlets forming a manor, one mile west of Caverswall, and including the hamlets of Adderley and Wherrington, the latter of which is on the Cheadle road, four miles east of Hanley. In the manor are three gentlemen’s seats, viz, Weston-Coyney Hall, the seat of Charles Coyney, Esq, Adderley House, the residence of Mrs Walklate, and Park Hall, the seat of Thomas. Hawe Parker, Esq. Cellar Head, a hamlet three miles north of Caverswall, is partly in Cheddleton parish, and has two annual fairs for horses, cattle and sheep, held on 5th May and the first Thursday in November. A few houses in Meir, near Lane End, are in Caverswall parish. (Edited version by kind permission of Mike Harbach GENUKI Project)
Caverswall Local History Pages :
The Parish Survey 1839 (People, Property and Land)